Next month, Telemundo’s Emmy Award-winning news anchor Jose Diaz-Balart will take over hosting duties at 10 a.m. on MSNBC.
Diaz-Balart’s addition to the cable news program was announced Tuesday, and it comes after the departure of Chris Jansing who was named NBC’s Senior White House Correspondent earlier in this month.
Besides anchoring on MSNBC, the veteran news anchor will continue as co-anchor of Telemundo’s nightly news show Noticiero Telemundo and the weekly national affairs programs Enfoque.
“It’s a great privilege for me to be able to be a part of the MSNBC team while continuing my work with my colleagues at Telemundo,” Diaz-Balart said. “I look forward to providing news and information in a dynamic and objective manner, while always recognizing America’s unique diversity.”
As a commitment by MSNBC to engage new audiences and communities, Diaz-Balart’s addition to the cable news line-up has been in the works for quite some time, according to MSNBC’s president Phil Griffin.
“I’ve been talking with Jose for several months about bringing his voice to MSNBC,” Griffin said. “He has a keen understanding of the political landscape and three decades of experience in both broadcast and cable news. We’re fortunate to have a journalist of Jose’s caliber join our line-up. My thanks to our partners at Telemundo for supporting this unique arrangement.”
Diaz-Balart’s long time contributions include serving as Washington and European bureau chief for Telemundo. He previously worked as bureau chief in El Salvador for the Spanish International Network (SIN) now Univision. He has also anchored for CBS News This Morning when it premiered in 1996.
Jose Diaz-Balart joined WTVJ in 1988 as a weekend anchor, later anchoring the noon and 5:30 p.m. broadcasts. While at NBC Miami he was awarded two Emmys and received nominations for two others. He is the recipient of four Hispanic Excellence in Journalism Awards, and the Associated Press Award for excellence in reporting.
Telemundo and MSNBC are a both a division of NBC Universal.