Seth Meyers did one of the smartest things he could do when he started his "Late Night" hosting duties. It wasn't his monologue, or even having Vice President Joe Biden there, it was bringing in his BFF and former "Weekend Update" co-anchor Amy Poehler.
The "Parks and Recreation" star was Meyers' first guest, with Biden coming on in the second half of the show following a performance by A Great Big World. Here are 10 amazing things that happened on the premiere of "Late Night With Seth Meyers."
1. The show's cold open paid tribute to the previous host, Jimmy Fallon. Meyers riffed on Fallon's "Thank You" bit, but then promised from there on out, it would feature original comedy.
2. Meyers wasn't afraid to make fun of himself. The former "SNL" head writer told a cute story about needing help changing a flat tire, complete with a photo of him holding his coat-wearing Greyhound while a stranger fixed his car.
3. The trademark opening monologue was still very present, but Meyers' had a distinct "Weekend Update" feel. The jokes (based on recent news stories) and Meyers' delivery will definitely help any "Weekend Update" fan feel at home on Late Night.
4. The minimalist desk featured a very nice Stefon (the "SNL" character played by Bill Hader) Russian doll wearing a wedding veil.
5. Fred Armisen and Meyers' banter was on point. It helped having a veteran comic be your bandleader. Armisen contributed more than just a "hey!" and guitar riff.
6. Meyers gave a few good jabs at the Olympics, including a creepy crying Sochi bear and Bob Costas' pink eye. Now, can we stop talking about this eye infection?
7. Amy Poehler was amazing. Poehler and Meyers have great chemistry and that comes off very, very clear. The two bantered like old friends (because they are), but it really made the viewer feel at ease. It was familiar and there was a comfort level there. She also made a big announcement about Broad History--it'll be big for a second season on Comedy Central--and had a GREAT moment with Armisen that you're sure to see GIFs of ASAP on Tumblr.
8. Poehler tackled the whole George Clooney prank war and used her time on "Late Night" to declare her surrender and say something Clooney has never heard from a woman before: "George, please stop."
9. "The gorgeous charm monster" AKA Vice President Joe Biden. The veep had plenty of interaction with Poehler and the two discussed his time on Parks and Rec. There was plenty of train banter and Poehler declared their next project together is Snakes on a Train.
10. The big announcement. Meyers said Biden had a big 2016 announcement, but Biden decided to let Meyers have his night. But Poehler wouldn't. "Oh, I'm going to run for president."
There weren't any special guests. It's just Poehler, Meyers and A Great Big World. Now what you didn't see...Poehler and Biden filmed a few promos with Meyers for local affiliates. She held Biden's hand for some and they cozy up for the others.
"Late Night with Seth Meyers" airs 12:35 a.m. on NBC.
(E! and NBC are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)