South Florida will participate in local events in remembrance of Sept. 11. Check out our list of local events that you can attend:
Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk, Saturday Sept. 7, 7:30 a.m.
More than 2,000 people will gather in Fort Lauderdale for a 5K Run & Walk to honor first responders, fire, police, EMTs, paramedics and military personnel who lost their lives on 9/11. The event will take place at Huizenga Park and includes many road closures:
- On Las Olas, one lane in both directions will be closed on SE 1st Ave. to SE 4th Ave. from 6-8:45 a.m.
- SE 1st Ave., one lane in both directions from the River to Broward Blvd. will be closed from 6:30-8:45 a.m.
- U.S.1 Southbound will be closed from Broward Blvd. to 7th Ave. from 6:45-8:00 a.m.
- Broward Blvd., one eastbound lane will be closed from SE 3rd Ave. to U. S. 1 from 7-8:00 a.m.
- SE 3rd Ave., one northbound lane will be closed from SE 7th Ave to Las Olas from 7-8:45 a.m.
- Las Olas Way, one westbound lane will be closed from 7:30 to 8:45 a.m.
For more information, click here.
9/11 Patriot Run, Saturday Sept. 7, 9 a.m.
Over 250 muscle car enthusiasts will caravan from Tropical Park in Miami to the Florida Keys to pay tribute to victims of 9/11. A muscle car show, tribute ceremony and raffle will take place at the Postcard Inn at Holiday Isle resort. Proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. For more information, click here.
9/11 Memorial Painting Unveiling, Saturday Sept. 7, 7 p.m.
A painting will be unveiled of the individual faces of over 3,000 victims who lost their lives on Sept. 11. The unveiling will be at the Nobe Artwalk inside the Oliveira Gallery in Fort Lauderdale.