Two police officers were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a high-rise fire in North Bay Village Sunday night.
Investigators say flames broke out around 9:40 p.m. at 7601 East Treasure Drive. Firefighters say it appears to be an electrical fire that sparked around a TV console on the tenth floor.
Two officers who came to help and at least one resident had to be treated for smoke inhalation. The officers were later released from the hospital and the resident's condition is unknown.
Kerwin Vega, who lives on the fifth floor, said it was an orderly evacuation.
"Everybody was, like, calm and going through the stairs, downstairs like really calm," he said.
Vega made it out safely with his family with one thought on his mind. "I was just thinking like get out of the building," he said.
Mary Rosado carried her dog in her arms. "The fire alarm went off in the building," Rosado said, " and she started barking."
Some 200 residents waited for up to three hours to return home.