Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
You've heard the excuse "my dog ate my homework," but what about "my dog ate my car payment?"
A North Florida family says that's exactly what happened when they left an envelope with $1,000 cash within reach of their mixed-breed pooch Tuity, according to the St. Augustine Record.
Christy Lawrenson left the ten $100 bills behind for husband Joe a couple weeks ago, but by the time he came home at lunch to pick up the cash to bring to the bank, it was gone.
"I saw one $100 dollar bill almost ripped in half on the floor,” Joe Lawrenson told the Record. “I found like three or four pieces around the house. I thought somebody broke in originally."
The culprit wasn't a burglar though. It was man's best friend.
"She ate the bill, the envelope...everything," Christy Lawrenson said of Tuity.
Tuity threw up the rest of the bills after Joe Lawrenson gave her peroxide to induce vomiting, and the couple went to work piecing the Benjamins back together.
“We just couldn’t believe it. We were both just in shock,” Christy Lawrenson said. “My mother-in-law and friend couldn’t stop laughing.”
One bill stayed intact and the couple was able to piece together eight others to exchange for fresh ones at the bank. The 10th bill was missing a crucial piece and wasn't
accepted by the bank, but the couple hopes the U.S. Treasury will replace it.
As for 4-year-old Tuity, Joe Lawrenson said she's a laid-back dog, though she did eat a pack of cigarettes once. He said they're trying to keep her from being a spendthrift.
"We just keep our money away from her now," Joe Lawrenson said.