A central Florida couple is dead after their motorcycle crashed into a garbage truck.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office reports Michael Stanley Cox and his wife Yvette Marie Cox were riding in a Harley Davidson after going to Publix Saturday afternoon in Lakeland.
The two were traveling south on Lakeland Highlands Road when a garbage truck driven by Bobby Caswell crossed in front of them.
Investigators say Cox may have tried to take evasive action but the motorcycle struck the side of the truck.
Michael Stanley Cox was found alongside the motorcycle, while his wife was under the truck. Neither was wearing a helmet. Both died at the scene.
Caswell used the emergency break and came to a stop several feet from the point of impact. He was not injured.
More on NBC6.com:
- "Speed Was a Factor" in Walker's Deadly Crash
- Substitute Teacher Arrested for Sex Acts With Young Boy
- WATCH: Grandmother Goes Skydiving for 90th Birthday
- 14-Foot Python Captured in the Everglades
- PHOTOS: Rock Stars Then and Now