Dog Dead, Boy in Good Condition After Cooper City Fire

The boy was taken to Memorial West, where he was listed in good condition, officials say

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Mark Thompson, NBC 6
    The Cooper City townhouse that caught fire was left uninhabitable, the Sheriff’s Office said.

    A fire broke out at a Cooper City townhouse Sunday, killing a dog and sending an 8-year-old boy to a hospital for smoke inhalation treatment, officials and witnesses said.

    The boy was taken to Memorial West, where he was listed in good condition, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.

    More Local Stories

    The townhouse in the 12200 block of Southwest 50th Place was left uninhabitable, the Sheriff’s Office said.  A woman who lives there told NBC 6 that she has no fire-related insurance.

    “I’m in shock about everything,” said Jennifer Hansen. “I can’t believe this happened. Christmas is coming. My mom was supposed to jump on a flight tomorrow and come from Sweden, and I told her to cancel everything.”

    Hansen said she and her family safely escaped. During the emergency, she also took her 3-week-old baby to safety, she said. 

    NBC 6 Videos

    Smoke reached two other townhouses, which were being vented, the agency said. Southwest 51st Street was shut down during the fire, but it has since been reopened.

    Three People Rescued From Boat Fire Off Miami Beach