Family Escapes House Fire in Miami-Dade

Early morning fire sweeps through home but family gets out safely

By Julia Bagg
|  Friday, May 18, 2012  |  Updated 8:06 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A family of five is staying with relatives after a fire forced them from their home Friday morning. Miami-Dade firefighter Todd Garafalo discusses the fire.

A family of five is staying with relatives after a fire forced them from their home Friday morning. Miami-Dade firefighter Todd Garafalo discusses the fire.

A family of five is staying with relatives after a fire forced them from their Northwest Miami-Dade home Friday morning.

Miami-Dade firefighters rushed to their home at 925 Northwest 73rd Street when flames broke out around 2 a.m., officials said.

"Nobody was inside, we were able to knock down the fire right away," said Miami-Dade firefighter Todd Garafalo, adding "the bedroom was a total loss because of the fire and smoke throughout the house."

Garafalo said a woman who lives at the house tipped him off to what may have sparked the flames.

"She said that her candle was on in the bedroom, she left a candle burning in the bedroom," said Garafalo.

He said that the family turned down help from the Red Cross.

 

Fire Forces Evacuation of 100 Residents

 

20 Charged in Arson and Insurance Scam

 

Click here for more local South Florida coverage

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out