Fire Causes Evacuation at Fort Lauderdale Motel

Travelodge evacuated, one person hospitalized after fire breaks out

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A Fort Lauderdale motel was evacuated and one person was hospitalized after a fire broke out in one of the rooms early Friday, officials said. The fire broke out around 5 a.m. at the Travelodge at 1251 East Sunrise Boulevard when a guest who was smoking a cigarette fell asleep, Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue spokesman Matt Little said.

    A Fort Lauderdale motel was evacuated and one person was hospitalized after a fire broke out in one of the rooms early Friday, officials said.

    The fire broke out around 5 a.m. at the Travelodge at 1251 East Sunrise Boulevard when a guest who was smoking a cigarette fell asleep, Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue spokesman Matt Little said.

    Firefighters arrived and quickly put out the flames but not before one of the rooms was heavily damaged.

    Fatal Crash on Florida's Turnpike in Miami-Dade

    Little said the 30-year-old victim was taken to Broward Health with minor burns. The person had been inside the room where the fire began and had tried to put out the flames, Little said.

    He's expected to be okay.

    A second person was checked out at the scene and released. The fire was contained to one room of the three-story building, Little said.

    Everyone in the motel was evacuated but was later allowed back inside, Little said.