Seven residents were displaced after a large fire swept through their North Lauderdale apartment building early Friday, officials said.
The fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. at the two-story building at 206 San Remo Boulevard, Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue officials said.
When firefighters arrived they encountered heavy smoke and flames. The fire was extinguished less than an hour later.
"When I came out there was smoke everywhere and you heard the firetrucks coming in," said James Sherman, who lives in complex.
Officials said the fire started in an upstairs unit and may have been caused by an electrical issue.
The four units in the building share an attic, which helped the fire spread more quickly, officials said.
The residents of the building were evacuated and there were no injuries. At least seven people won't be able to return to their homes because of the damage, officials said.
More Local Stories:
- Man Shoots, Kills Wife With Gun He Thought was Unloaded: Cops
- Dispute Over Company to Wrap Luggage at MIA Gets Heated
- Tampa Area Man Swallowed By Sinkhole