Fort Lauderdale Officers Shoot, Kill Knife-Wielding Man: Police

Police investigating after officers shoot and kill man with knife

View Comments ()



    A man was shot to death by officers in Fort Lauderdale after he charged at them with a knife, police said Monday.

    The shooting happened just before 7:45 p.m. Sunday at a home in the 300 block of Northeast 17th Avenue as officers responded to a call of a man making suicidal threats, Fort Lauderdale Police said.

    Three Fort Lauderdale Officers Acquitted

    [MI] Three Fort Lauderdale Officers Acquitted of Misconduct
    A Broward circuit judge on Wednesday acquitted three officers of official misconduct and other charges. NBC 6 reporter Ari Odzer has the story. Interviewed are Sgt. Jack Lokeinsky, of the Fraternal Order of Police, and defense attorney Brad Cohen. (Published Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013)

    The officers were informed that there was an ongoing domestic disturbance at the home and that a man had armed himself with a knife.

    Man And Son Killed, 2 Daughters Injured in Knife Attack in NW Miami-Dade

    Leadership Broward Members Get Active Shooter Training

    [MI] Leadership Broward Members Get Active Shooter Training
    Fort Lauderdale Police Officer Thor Lockhart and cadets from Broward College's Institute of Public Safety taught members of Leadership Broward how to survive an active shooter situation. Kat Goldman said the class was very beneficial to her. (Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013)

    When the officers arrived, a man, later identified as 43-year-old Jeffrey Lowry, came out of the front door and charged at them with the knife, police said.

    According to police, witnesses said the officers told Lowry several times to put down the knife but he refused. The officers opened fire, hitting Lowry, police said.

    The officers secured the knife and gave first aid to Lowry before Fire Rescue workers arrived and took him to Broward General Medical Center, where he later died.

    Man Shot and Killed in Southwest Miami-Dade

    Police are still investigating the incident and are asking anyone with information to call them at 954-828-5517.