Lake Worth Polo Club Barn Fire Started in Appliance-Filled Room: Report

Several items were plugged into surge protector in room where horse food and supplies were kept

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013  |  Updated 8:31 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Horse Found Slaughtered in Southwest Miami-Dade

NBC News Channel

The blaze destroyed the barn, which was 70-80 feet long.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Florida Woman Claims Mini Horses Sexually Attacked By Man

A Florida woman says her world class miniature horses have been targeted by a man who has repeatedly sexually abused them, and now she's ready to take matters into her own hands. Horse owner Abby Conder discusses.

Horse Found Slaughtered in Southwest Miami-Dade

The remains of a slaughtered horse were found Thursday night in the area of 81st Terrace and Southwest 123rd Avenue by a neighbor, Animal Recovery Mission head investigator Richard Couto said.
More Photos and Videos

The fire that swept through the Gulfstream Polo Club in Lake Worth earlier this month killing nine horses started in a tack room filled with appliances, according to an incident report released Monday.

  The report released by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke out on March 9. According to the report, several items - including microwaves and hot plates - were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator.
 
The Palm Beach Post reports horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.
 
The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system.
 
Omar Cepeda, who has rented the barn for three years, told the Post he's battled depression over the loss of the horses. He says the horses cost about $40,000 each.

More Local Stories:

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out