A Lauderhill woman is facing a child neglect charge after the young boy who she was supposed to be babysitting suffered second-degree burns when he was left alone, police said.
Samantha Beaubriant, 21, was arrested Thursday after the 6-year-old boy was hospitalized for burns suffered when his shirt accidentally caught on fire, Lauderhill Police said.
Beaubriant appeared in court Friday where she was ordered held on $3,500 bond and told to stay away from the boy. It was unknown whether she has an attorney.
According to an arrest affidavit, Beaubriant, a stay at home mom, was the boy's primary caretaker from when he got home from school until his mother got home from work.
But on Thursday, when the boy arrived home at the family's apartment complex in the 4200 block of Inverrary Boulevard, Beaubriant wasn't there, the affidavit said.
The boy told another neighbor that when he got home his door was unlocked. When the light in the bathroom didn't work, he lit a candle with matches and accidentally caught his shirt on fire, the affidavit said.
According to the affidavit, the boy was found by the neighbor wandering alone on the third floor of the building with severe burns to his back.
"I just found him in the building," the woman explained to an operator in a 911 call released by police.
"You found who in the building?" the operator responds.
"The little boy, and I can't get in touch with his parents," she said, as the boy is heard crying in the background.
The boy, who was left alone for almost 3 and a half hours, was hospitalized with second-degree burns and later released, police said.
Beaubriant later told officers she was out running errands and had asked a neighbor to watch the boy, but the neighbor said she was never asked, the affidavit said.
More Local Stories:
- Davie Business Seeking to Solve 2 Crimes Caught on Video
- Dade School District Holds Prom For Students With Autism
- Babysitter Arrested After 7-Year-Old Boy Burns Self in Fire