A man was shot and killed Friday night in his Palmetto Bay home, which police later discovered contained a suspected grow house.
Israel Rodriguez, 36, was shot just after 9 p.m. in his home at 16021 SW 77th Court, Miami-Dade Police said. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he later died.
Detectives said they found a hydroponic lab inside the home and posted an "unsafe building" sign on the front door. According to police records, Rodriguez had been arrested in the past for loitering.
A Department of Children and Families investigator was also at the home with detectives Saturday morning. Neighbors said a child lived there with Rodriguez, but now that child is staying with other family members while the investigation continues.
Police have not yet identified a suspect or a motive in the shooting. Anyone with information is urged to contact Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.
Stay with NBC6.com for updates on this developing story.
More on NBC6.com:
- Substitute Teacher Arrested for Sex Acts With Young Boy
- WATCH: Grandmother Goes Skydiving for 90th Birthday
- Unusually Quiet 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season Ends
- MLS Franchise in Miami Could be Announced by New Year's
- PHOTOS: Rock Stars Then and Now
- Kidnapped Squirrel Returns Home for the Holidays
- Man Robs Bank, Changes Clothes, Waits at Bus Stop: Deputies
- WATCH: Deer Bursts Through Shop Window
- PHOTOS: Outrageous Black Friday Behavior
- Family: We Tipped Server, Didn't Pen Anti-Gay Note