Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
On Thursday, Mark O Mara released a written and several audio statements made by George Zimmerman. In the video, Zimmerman tells a truth verification specialist what happened the night he shot Trayvon Martin.
Prosecutors released more evidence in the George Zimmerman case Tuesday afternoon including an unredacted police report and the results of a voice stress test given the day after he shot Trayvon Martin.
The supplemental discovery was released at 1 p.m. and includes video and audio recordings of police interviews with Zimmerman, a 29-page Sanford Police report without statements redacted and an exemption list that notes redactions to the evidence.
Portions of the unredacted capias request and report of investigation, prepared by police Investigator Chris Serino, seem to question some of Zimmerman's accounts of the shooting.
"Investigative findings show that Zimmerman admitted to avoiding a confrontation with Martin while Zimmerman was observing Martin from his vehicle, because, as he told investigators, was afraid of Martin," the capias request reads. "Later in the encounter, Zimmerman exited his vehicle, in spite of his earlier admission to investigators that he was afraid of Martin, and followed Martin in an effort to maintain surveillance of him while Zimmerman awaited the arrival of law enforcement officers. His actions are inconsistent with those of a person who has stated he was in fear of another subject."
In the report, Serino notes that Zimmerman had two chances to speak with Martin before the shooting and "defuse the circumstances surrounding their encounter.
"On at least two occasions, George Michael Zimmerman failed to identify himself as a concerned resident or a neighborhood watch member to Trayvon Benjamin Martin. Investigative findings show the physical dimensions of Trayvon Benjamin Martin, and that of George Michael Zimmerman, coupled with the absence of any specialized training in hand to hand combat between either combatant, did not place George Michael Zimmerman in an extraordinary or exceptional disadvantage of apparent physical ability or defensive capacity," Serino wrote. "Investigative findings show the physical injuries displayed by George Michael Zimmerman are marginally consistent with a life-threatening violent episode as described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force was deployed by Trayvon Martin."
The investigator concludes the shooting may have been avoidable.
"The encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement, or conversely if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog in an effort to dispel each party's concern," Serino wrote.
Serino recommended a manslaughter charge for Zimmerman to the state attorney.
In a separate development Tuesday, the Sanford Police Department said that Serino voluntarily requested a reassignment to its patrol division. He will begin his new role on July 7.
The recordings released Tuesday are the same ones that were released by Zimmerman's attorneys last week. They include a video that shows Zimmerman reenacting the events from the night of the shooting at the scene.
The video released by prosecutors shows the same reenactment with additional footage of detectives asking Zimmerman about his injuries.
In the short clip, Zimmerman points out cuts and bruises on his head but says he wasn't injured elsewhere.
"He was just focused on my head," Zimmerman says.
In the stress test, Zimmerman answered "No" when asked "Did you confront the guy you shot?" He answered "yes" when asked "Were you in fear for your life, when you shot the guy?"
The examiner concluded Zimmerman was telling the truth and marked an "X" next to the statement: "The examinee has told substantially the complete truth in regards to this examination."
Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of 17-year-old Martin in a gated community in Sanford in February. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty, and says the shooting of the Miami Gardens teen was self-defense.
Zimmerman had been released on $150,000 bond in April but it was revoked after Judge Kenneth Lester ruled Zimmerman and his wife had misled Lester and prosecutors about his finances and passport. He remains behind bars at the Seminole County Jail. Shellie Zimmerman was also arrested on a perjury charge and later released.
On Monday, Zimmerman's attorney released a court motion requesting a second bond for Zimmerman. The request is expected to be considered at a bond hearing on Friday.