Trayvon Martin's Mom: 'This Will Be My First Mother's Day Without My Son'

Mother of shooting victim makes video against Stand Your Ground laws

Friday, May 11, 2012  |  Updated 10:16 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin, posted a video asking people to push for reexamining Stand Your Ground laws across the country. Meantime, NBC 6 found on a gun products website what had been an advertisement for

Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin, posted a video asking people to push for reexamining Stand Your Ground laws across the country. Meantime, NBC 6 found on a gun products website what had been an advertisement for "Travyon Martin targets." The product is no longer available on the site, whose owners could not be reached for comment.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Trayvon Martin's Parents React to News Of George Zimmerman's Charge

Trayvon Martin's parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin talk to the press after they hear State Attorney Angela Corey's announcement that George Zimmerman will face a second-degree murder charge.
More Photos and Videos

The mother of Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin has posted a video asking people to push for reexamining Stand Your Ground laws across the country.

"This will be my first Mother's Day without my son Trayvon," Sybrina Fulton says in the minute-long video, posted on Youtube and other sites Friday. "I know it will be hard but my faith, family and friends will pull me through."

Fulton makes a plea for supporters to "spare other mothers the pain that we will feel on Mother's Day and every day for the rest of our lives.

"I'm asking you to join Florida by calling upon the governor of your state to reexamine similar Stand Your Ground laws throughout the nation to keep our families safe," she says.

Martin, 17, was shot by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who maintains he acted in self-defense. Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder following weeks of protests.

Florida Governor Rick Scott formed a task force in the wake of the Martin shooting to examine the state's controversial law which allows citizens to defend themselves with deadly force.

The task force met for the first time in Tallahassee earlier this month.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, said he expects to receive the first round of documents related to the case Monday, according to his website, GZlegalcase.com.

O'Mara said the public release of the new evidence may be delayed because he'd like to review it before it's released.

"Public release of the of the discovery may be delayed as we may be filing a motion to further redact information, and an opportunity to review the discovery is necessary to determine the applicability of that motion," he said.

 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out