Nearly 30 years after he hijacked a Miami-bound plane and demanded to be flown to Cuba, William Potts voluntarily returned to South Florida Wednesday. NBC 6's Diana Gonzalez has the story.
Trial has been delayed until March for the American who hijacked an airliner to Cuba decades ago and returned voluntarily to face the U.S. charges.
A federal judge agreed Wednesday to the delay requested by the attorney for 56-year-old William Potts. The trial had been scheduled to begin this month on an air piracy charge, which carries a sentence of between 20 years and life.
Potts' attorney says in court papers he expects the case to be resolved before the March 3 trial date. For now, Potts has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.
Potts is seeking credit for the 13-plus years he served in a Cuban prison after hijacking a New York-to-Miami flight in March 1984. The FBI says Potts claimed to have bombs on board.