<![CDATA[NBC 6 South Florida - Breaking News]]>Copyright 2016http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/breaking http://media.nbcbayarea.com/designimages/NBC+6+LOGO+GOOGLE.png NBC 6 South Florida http://www.nbcmiami.comen-usMon, 30 May 2016 08:40:13 -0400Mon, 30 May 2016 08:40:13 -0400NBC Owned Television Stations <![CDATA[5 Women Die in Limousine Fire on Calif. Bridge]]> Mon, 06 May 2013 06:34:03 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/214*120/limofirenew.jpg

Five women in their 30s died Saturday night when a stretch limousine burst into flames on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over the San Francisco Bay, police confirmed to NBC News.

Four other people in the limo escaped with burn and smoke inhalation injuries, California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel said. The car's driver was unhurt. 

Montiel said the women were "probably killed by the fire," though the cause of death has not been confirmed, NBC News reported.

Witnesses told NBC Bay Area the white Lincoln Town Car was not involved in an accident prior to catching on fire. It was not clear what could have sparked the flames. 

The car was driving from Alameda to Foster City, Montiel said.

When asked if an "explosion" had occurred, Montiel told NBC News it was unconfirmed, however he did say the "vehicle was partially engulfed."'

A viewer named David Solomon sent in the picture above that he said of was of the limo.

The fire was first reported around 10 p.m. in the third lane of westbound state Highway 92, according to the California Highway Patrol. 

The bridge, located about 20 miles southeast of San Francisco, connects San Mateo and Alemada counties. The westbound lanes were closed for several hours.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Photo Credit: David Solomon]]>
<![CDATA[White House Press Secretary Discusses Conn. School Shooting]]> Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:55:05 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/whitehouse4.jpg White House Press Secretary Jay Carney discusses Friday's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

<![CDATA[Pregnant Woman Killed in Pool Cabana by Car]]> Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:16:38 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/police+line+yellow+%5Bgenericsla%5D.jpg

A Sunday afternoon by the pool turned into a horrific tragedy when a car veered off of the road and into a pool cabana killing a pregnant woman, authorities say.

A statement released by Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue stated that at around 1:30 p.m. a car driven by a woman crashed into the cabana by the pool at the Riverside Hotel on East Las Olas Boulevard.

Inside the cabana, the woman, who was 7-months pregant according to fire rescue officials, was killed.

The driver was also injured and was taken to Broward General Hospital. Neither the driver or the victim was identified.

Hotel guests Darryn and Joanne Gordon, on vacation in South Florida from England, said they were laying by the pool when the car hit.

"We just heard the big explosion and then about five seconds, everybody’s in shock and then everybody just reacted," Darryn Gordon said.

"It was just the last day of our vacation and it came to a horrible end," Joanne Gordon said. "Such a terrible accident."

The accident is under investigation.

Photo Credit: Getty Images / Scott Olson]]>
<![CDATA[Tanker Crash Closes Entrance to Port]]> Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:12:02 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/Port+Everglades+Closed.jpg

The driver of gas tanker suffered a seizure near one of the entrances of Port Everglades and crashed his truck into a light pole and transponder Sunday morning, police confirmed.

The man was taken to the Broward General Hospital but police were forced to close the entrance to the port at State Road 84 (SE 24th St.) near US 1. Those going to or leaving the port can still use other entrances, including the 595 entrance.

In a statement, Broward Sheriff's Office said that there did not to be any gas in the tank of the truck nor was there any leaking.

They also said that Florida Power & Light workers were on the scene to determine how power in the area would be affected.

More information to come.

Photo Credit: NBC Miami]]>
<![CDATA[Wildfire Burns at US-1 and Card Sound Rd.]]> Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:03:51 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/Keys+Brushfire.jpg

The rash of wildfires in South Florida continues with news of a blaze Saturday near US 1 and Card Sound Road on the way to the Florida Keys.

According to Susan Ethridge of Florida Forest Service the wildfire has already burned 5-acres and is growing.

She said 49 homes and one bar were threatened and that 10 people have already been evacuated.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue units are already on the scene combating the fire as are Florida Forest Service officials.

Ethridge says that a cause for the fire has not yet been determined but that it is difficult to put out because of dry conditions.

“The wind is so high that it is making it difficult to handle,” she added.

More details to come.

Photo Credit: Adam Sacasa]]>
<![CDATA[Large Brush Fire Raging in Kendall]]> Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:11:26 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/Brush+Fire.jpg

Firefighters continue battling a large brush fire which started yesterday and continues to burn early this morning near SW 112th Street and 137th Avenue in Kendall.

Authorities say two firefighters were taken to the hospital after suffering from heat exhaustion from the blaze which is taking place in the wooded area near Our Lady of Lourdes Parish School and Tamiami Airport.

Firefighters say the fire started yesterday but sparked up overnight.

It’s being described as a 3rd alarm code brush fire and has caused numerous road closures in the Kendall area.

FP&L confirmed that the brush fire had knocked out power to about 1,000 homes at around 3 a.m., with about a quarter of those still without power at around 6:30 a.m.

Photo Credit: NBC Miami]]>
<![CDATA[Man Fatally Shot in Lauderhill]]> Sun, 22 Jan 2012 09:51:50 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/Lauderhill+Murder+Scene.jpg

Police confirm that a man has been killed in a Monday morning shooting in Lauderhill.

Lauderhill Police spokesperson Captain Constance Stanley confirmed to NBC Miami that a male had been fatally injured after being shot in the 1800 block of NW 55th Avenue.

Fabian Chambers, a resident of the neighborhood, saw the tragedy transpire first-hand.

"Seeing somebody get shot, and dying right in front of your face is hard," Chambers said.

The witness told NBC Miami that he rushed to his neighbor's aid and saw his gasping for air.

Several neighbors said their Saturday morning was interrupted by numerous gun shots. As many as seven shots were reported by several people.


Police were called to the scene a little bit before 10 a.m.

Neither the victim’s name nor age had been released, awaiting notification of next of kin.

Photo Credit: Betty Yu]]>
<![CDATA[Escaped Prisoner Caught in Miami-Dade]]> Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:04:36 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/Escaped+Prisoner+Caught.jpg

Authories now confirm that an escaped prisoner is in custody after about an hour-and-a-half search in Northwest Miami-Dade County in the early afternoon Tuesday.

The Florida Department of Corrections said Juan Preval escaped the Opa Locka Work Release Center at about 11:30 a.m. as he awaited transfer back to prison. Preval was being sent back to prison because he was found with contraband while working at the center.

He was in leg shackles and handcuffs when he escaped.

Authories say that a prison K-9 team caught Preval about a half-mile west of the center behind a Burger King.

Preval,. 26, is serving an almost a 9 year sentence for burglary, grand theft and resisting arrest with violence, said the Florida Department of Corrections, who added that he would never again be eligible for work release.

Photo Credit: NBC Miami]]>
<![CDATA[Alleged Robbers Crash After Chase]]> Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:08:48 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/car-chase-female.jpg

Four suspected robbers and two other drivers were taken to area hospitals after a chase through Lauderhill led to a multi-car crash at around 11 a.m. at NW 16 Street and State Road 7, police told NBC Miami.

Captain Rick Rocco of the Lauderhill Police said that the chase resulted from an alleged chain snatching in the 1700 block of NW 46th Avenue.  After one of the suspects robbed the victim he jumped into a car with other suspects and sped off.  The victim jumped into his own car and went after them.

While chasing the suspects the victim called police.  As they responded, police said, they observed the suspects’ car run a red light at NW 16th Street and State Road 7 where it crashed into another vehicle, which then spun and hit two other cars.

The victim was not involved in the crash.

Three of the suspects were taken to Broward General Hospital while a fourth suspect and two others were taken Plantation General Hospital, police said. No names were released, but police said they were all in stable condition.

A statement released by police says they are investigating the alleged robbery but clarifies that there was no police pursuit and that no officer was injured or involved in the crash.

<![CDATA[Officer In Serious Condition After Head-On Crash]]> Wed, 05 Oct 2011 06:35:42 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/215*120/crash13.jpg

A veteran Plantation police officer injured in a head-on collision with an SUV Tuesday afternoon has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.

25-year veteran K-9 officer Curtis Hampton was on-duty patroling at the time of the accident, a PPD spokesperson said.

Investigators are still working to determine how his patrol car and a gold SUV came to collide head-on in eastbound lanes of West Broward Boulevard at 70th Avenue, though early reports from the scene suggest the SUV may have possibly veered into oncoming traffic.

Plantation Fire Rescue used Jaws of Life to extract Hampton from the wreckage, and he was airlifted to Broward General Hospital in a sheriff's office helicopter.

After Hampton was removed from his crushed patrol car, other officers coaxed his K-9 partner Rudi from the backseat of the vehicle.

The dog was examined at a local animal clinic and found to have no major injuries, a police spokesperson said.

The driver of the SUV was transported by ground to Broward General in serious condition, officials said.

A third person in a Toyota Corolla believed to have rear-ended the officer's vehicle after it was struck suffered minor injuries.

Lanes in both directions of West Broward Boulevard were closed into Tuesday evening as the investigation continued.

<![CDATA["Ruthless" Suspect Arrested: Cops]]> Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:47:19 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/calvin+warren.jpg

Calvin Warren, who had been described by authorities as "ruthless" and was believed to be involved with at least five murders, was arrested Friday morning, authorities said.

Warren, 22, was arrested and booked into Miami-Dade County jail at 6:19 a.m. on Friday on two counts of second-degree murder, aggravated assault with a firearm and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, the Miami-Dade County Corrections website said.

Shawntavia Bryant was arrested along with Warren, and she faces a charge of accessory after the fact, police said.

Interim Police Chief Manuel Orosa said Bryant is Warren's girlfriend, and she had been harboring him. She admitted that she knew Warren was wanted for a double murder, the police report said.

"He was hiding out with an individual that was arrested, happened to be his girlfriend, and he was outside the city coming back and forth, so it was a little bit difficult to get him, but we finally got him," Orosa said.

Authoriites had said Warren was believed to be involved with at least five murders, including two last month.

Warren was arrested in connection to two separate shooting incidents, one on Aug. 8 and another on Aug. 27, said Keandra Simmons, Miami Police spokeswoman. In the first incident, two people were killed and in the latter, the victim was shot but not fatally, Simmons said.

Miami Police had said Warren was also believed to be connected to a shooting last Friday when gunmen confronted two men and a 2-year-old boy in their car in Miami. Both men were shot and killed, but the young boy was unharmed. Police had said they were unsure of what led to an apparent deadly feud between the gunmen and the victims in the shooting.

Authorities said, now that Warren was behind bars, the public shouldn’t be afraid to come forward with any other information to help bolster these cases or other crimes that may involve him.

"He's ruthless. He's taking people's lives. What is this man capable of next? We need to stop him," Det. Kenia Reyes had said over the weekend.

<![CDATA[Victims ID'd in Miami Club Shooting]]> Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:35:18 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/nocturnal+club+shooting.jpg

A man was killed and six others wounded as gunfire erupted early Sunday morning inside downtown Miami club Nocturnal, according to Miami police spokesperson Lt. Kenia Reyes.

The terrifying scene unfolded shortly after 3 a.m. at  50 Northeast 11th Street , when according to witnesses several patrons inside the club began arguing.

Shots rang out minutes later, leaving 26-year-old Brandon Marquis McGhee of North Miami dead at the scene.

Reyes said five victims with non-life threatening injuries were transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center, where another victim was driven by friends.

Among the wounded are Ronaldo Cerve, 20, of North Miami; Maxon Clark, 25, of Pembroke Pines; Ricat Pierre, 25, of Miami; Mac Isidor, 23, of Miami; and Emilio Lopez, 21, of Miami, according to a police incident report. The sixth person has yet to be indentified.

A witness who found himself in the line of fire just 15 feet from the gunman said the trouble between two parties started on the club's second floor.

"They were throwing bottles at each other," he said. "They were throwing up gang signs and sticking middle fingers [up]...I looked to my right and I saw the gun shooting, the fire. It sounded like firecrackers."

The seven people were struck by bullets as hundreds of terrified revelers streamed out exit doors and others dove for cover, police say. 

"I saw this one girl getting walked over like crazy," said the witness of the stampede to safety.

"I thought I was going to die. What I witnessed today -- I saw a dead body and a lot of people hurt. I'm only 19 and eyes like mine shouldn't be seeing that...I don't think anybody wants to see that."

The incident is the second club shooting on Northeast 11th Street in a little over a month. In August, four people were shot outside the nightclub 90 Degree. Suspects in both shootings remain at large.

Homicide detectives are hoping to speak with patrons who may have left Nocturnal immediately after the incident. Anyone present is asked to call 305-603-6350, and anyone with information is urged to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

Follow NBCMiami on Facebook and Twitter.

<![CDATA[Fatal Crash Closes Shula at Snapper Creek]]> Thu, 01 Sep 2011 11:21:19 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/shula+at+snapper.jpg

A fatal accident has closed all lanes on a portion of the Don Shula Expressway and others on the Snapper Creek Expressway Wednesday night.

Debris removal from the crash will take about two hours in the northbound lanes and three hours in the southbound lanes, the Miami Dade Expressway Authority said at 9 p.m. Wednesday night.

The closure is in effect on all lanes of the Shula/SR 874 between SW 104th Street/Killian Parkway and SR 878/Snapper Creek Expressway.

All westbound lanes on SR 878/Snapper Creek Expressway at SW 87th Avenue/Galloway Road are also closed. 

The accident occurred on the Shula about 6:30 p.m. near the Snapper Creek Expressway when a truck overturned from the northbound lanes to the southbound lanes. One victim was pronounced dead at the scene and another transported to Baptist Hospital.

Drivers are urged to avoid the area, MDX says.

<![CDATA[Man Sought In Palmetto Expressway Bomb Scare]]> Fri, 05 Apr 2013 13:38:43 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/214*120/L40561.jpg

A former Broward County inmate is being sought for questioning after a bomb scare shut down a portion of the Palmetto Expressway for six hours Friday evening.

Miami Gardens police say Lee E. Lewis, who recently served time for grand theft auto and possession of methamphetamines, is considered armed and dangerous. The 28-year-old is also wanted on a weapons violation.

A person fitting Lewis' description was reportedly seen leaving a silver hearse on the Palmetto beneath an overpass near 167th Street and Northwest 17th Avenue on Friday.

A Miami Gardens police officer approached the vehicle just before 5 p.m. and spotted firearms and other weapons inside.

The Palmetto was shut down in both directions between the exits for 27th and 37th Avenues while a bomb squad investigated.

Witnesses reported seeing several black bags removed from the hearse by a remote-controlled bomb squad robot, but police remain tight-lipped about what may have been inside.

The closure brough rush hour traffic to a standstill, and nearby businesses were also evacuated.

The Palmetto was finally re-opened around 10:15 p.m., and the hearse was towed away overnight.

It is not yet known if any other evidence ties Lewis to the hearse, but anyone with any information about Lewis is urged to call Detective O. Perdomo at 305-474-1553.

<![CDATA[Wife Charged With Stabbing Marshall]]> Sun, 24 Apr 2011 01:13:36 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/marshalls1.jpg

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall's wife confessed to stabbing him with a kitchen knife Friday night during a domestic dispute.

After being questioned and photographed by Broward County sheriff's deputies, Marshall was transported by car to Broward General Hospital, where he underwent minor surgery to repair the wound. 

The two-time Pro Bowler has been released from hospital, and is expected to make a full recovery.

Michi Nogami-Marshall, 27, was arrested Friday night on the scene and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. She told police her actions were in self-defense, and declined to make any further comment as she left a Broward jail Saturday afternoon after posting a $7,500 bail.

Marshall originally provided sworn testimony that he slipped and fell on a vase, according to the police report, but officers noted no blood was found in the area surrounding the broken vase and determined his claim to be unsubstantiated. 

It is not known if authorities are considering charging Marshall with lying to the police.

"Both the victim and the defended provided scant information regarding the incident itself," wrote Detective J. Lawrence.

The couple had an earlier brush with the law in Atlanta in 2009, when Marshall was arrested after allegedly being involved in a fight with his then-fiancee. But both refused to testify against each other, and charges of disturbing the peace were dropped the next day.

Insteresting, Marshall has reportedly been stabbed by a woman once already. His high school sweetheart and longtime girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley, told ESPN in a 2009 "Outside the Lines" special that she had used a knife to defend herself from him in a 2007 domestic dispute.

Marshall and Nogami-Marshall were married in April 2010.

"This is a very difficult time for Brandon and family," said his agent Kennard McGuire in a statement. "Thankfully he will make a full recovery. We simply ask that his privacy is respected."

"Brandon will be okay and is in good spirits," tweeted his good friend Mike Sims-Walker, a free agent wide receiver who played with Marshall at the University of Central Florida. "[Appreciate] the prayers and concerns!"

Marshall, 27, was traded to Miami in April 2010 for two second-round picks. He and the Dolphins immediately agreed to a four-year, $47.5 million contract extension, including $24 million guaranteed.

"We are aware of the report and our thoughts are with Brandon at this time," the Dolphins said in a statement. "We will look into the matter, but because we are not allowed to have any contact with any of our players [due to the ongoing NFL lockout], we will refrain from making any further comment."

<![CDATA[Aguilera Selling Former Osbourne Pad]]> Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:49:45 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/ChristinaAguileraC.jpg Christina Aguilera’s Beverly Hills mansion is on the market for a cool $13.5 million. The 10,000 square foot crib was the former home of rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his wife Sharon. It is also where they filmed their MTV reality TV show "The Osbournes." View the listing.]]> <![CDATA[Dramatic Photos: Devastation in Japan]]> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:27:37 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/213*120/ap-british-oil-cleanup.jpg A magnitude 8.9 earthquake slammed Japan's northeastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland and prompting a "nuclear emergency."

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Belgian Man Runs 365 Marathons in 365 Consecutive Days]]> Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:00:10 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/160*120/20110205+Marathon+Champ.jpg

Belgian Runner Stefaan Engels completed his 365th marathon in as many days in Barcelona, Spain, Saturday, setting a Guinness World Record in the process.

The so-called “Marathon Man” logged a 9,569 miles in the past year as he finished the 26.2-mile races in seven countries.

“For me, it is an experiment for myself, an experiment with my mind to find out what is possible,” Engels told Canada's National Post in September, after he had finished number 207. “After eight months, I think this is possible.”

It turns out Engels was right.

The 49-year-old obliterated the previous record held by Japanese runner Akinori Kusuda who completed 52 marathons on consecutive days in 2009.

For Engels, it was the second time he made it into the Guinness Book of World Records. In 2008, he earned the honor for finishing a record 20 Iron Man triathlons in a single year.

Selected Reading: USA Today, Agence France-Presse, National Post

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Egypt in Crisis: Complete Coverage]]> Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:38:26 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/160*120/013011+Egypt+protest.jpg

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Chevy Volt Wins Top Car Honor At Detroit Auto Show]]> Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:00:15 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/160*120/chevy+volt-6401.jpg

The Chevy Volt—a plug-in hybrid vehicle that can go up to 375 miles without recharging its battery—was named the top North American car of the year at the Detroit Auto Show Monday.

Chevrolet calls the plug-in Volt “a full-performance electric vehicle.” Unlike hybrids like the Toyota Prius, the Volt is designed to travel long distances on electric power alone, and can even travel 35 miles without tapping its gas reserves.

The Hyundai Sonata sedan and the all-electric Nissan Leaf finished behind the Volt when judged by 49 automotive journalists from Canada and the United States. The judges considered factors like handling, driver satisfaction, and innovation when making their picks, according to the New York Times.

Detroit was the latest honor for the eco-friendly vehicle, which gets 40 miles per gallon on the highway when running on fuel. It was already named the 2011 Green Car of the Year and Motor Trend Magazine’s 2011 Car of the Year.

The all-new energy-efficient Ford Explorer won the North American truck of the year award. So far, neither the Volt nor the Explorer have the sales numbers to match their accolades, but that didn’t dissuade the judges from casting their votes.

“Even though the sales aren’t there yet, it’s sort of a chicken-and-egg thing,” judge Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst at Edmunds.com, told Bloomberg’s Craig Trudell. “We have to go there, but the sales aren’t there yet.”

Driving emissions-free for most commutes means a little pain upfront. The Volt will set you back $41,000. Even with a $7,500 federal tax credit for plug-in hybrids factored in, the Volt is more expensive than most of its competitors.

Innovation, not price, was the major concern for General Motors in designing and marketing the car.

“Since development began, we believed the Volt had the potential to transform the automotive industry,” GM CEO Dan Akerson said in a statement.

The Volt continues to rack up the trophies. Earlier this year, Ward’s AutoWorld named its drivetrain one of the 10 best of the year, and Car & Driver named the Volt one of the best 10 cars of the year.

Aside from its “top car” honors, the plug-in hybrid was given a “breakthrough technology” award by Popular Mechanics.

The Volt is currently available only in California, the New York metropolitan area, Washington D.C. and Austin, Texas. It will be on sale nationwide in the next 12 to 18 months.

Selected Reading: Bloomberg, New York TimesCrain's Detroit Business

Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Madoff Son Found Dead in Suicide]]> Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:38:52 -0400 http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/160*120/031109-Bernie-Madoff%5B1%5D_edited-1.jpg

Bernard Madoff's oldest son committed suicide by hanging himself in his home in SoHo, law enforcement officials confirmed, and his death came on the anniversary of his infamous father's arrest.

Mark Madoff was found Saturday morning in the living room of his $6 million apartment on Mercer Street in SoHo.  Police sources said he hanged himself  from a pipe in the living room with a dog's leash.   A family member positively identified the body on Sunday, and the medical examiner confirmed the cause of death.

Mark Madoff's wife, Stephanie, sent her stepfather to the couple's home after he e-mailed her at Disney World in Florida, where she was vacationing with their 4-year-old daughter. In the messages, he told her he loved her and that someone should check on their 2-year-old child, Nicholas, police said. He left no suicide note.

Madoff's two year-old son, who was sleeping in the next room, was not harmed.  The family dog was also uninjured, investigators said.
A law enforcement official confirmed Mark sent an email to his lawyer urging him to help "take care of my family" and that "no one wants to hear the truth."  In an email to his wife, the official said Madoff wrote "I love you" and "...send someone to take care of Nick" -- their two-year-old son.  

Saturday marked the two-year anniversary of the arrest of Bernie Madoff, who pleaded guilty to 11 federal crimes and admitted to turning his wealth management business into a massive scheme that defrauded thousands of investors of billions of dollars.

The intense scrutiny approaching the anniversary "became too much for him,'' said a person who had recent contact with him, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

Mark, 46, was the oldest of the two Madoff sons.  The scandal put a harsh light on members of the swindler's family. The financier's brother, Peter, played a prominent role in the family's company.  Sons Mark and Andrew Madoff both worked on a trading desk at the firm, on a side of the business that wasn't directly involved in the Ponzi scheme.

But officials said the pair did take tens of millions millions in loans and compensation from the company.  The FBI and IRS are still looking into whether any crimes were committed by the sons.  Officials have said any decision on charges by US Attorney Preet Bharara is still months away.  Spokesmen for the US Attorney, IRS and FBI declined comment Saturday.

Last year, the court-appointed trustee trying to unravel Madoff's financial affairs sued several members of the family, including the brothers, accusing them of failing to detect the fraud while living lavish lifestyles financed with the family's ill-gotten fortune.
The lawsuit accused Mark Madoff of using $66 million he received improperly to buy luxury homes in New York City, Nantucket and Connecticut.

In February, Mark Madoff's wife petitioned a court to change her last name, saying her family had gotten threats and was humiliated by the scandal.

Although he was not charged in his father's Ponzi scheme, he and his brother Andew were the target of a recent lawsuit by one of their former employees over bonus money he claims to have lost because of the Ponzi scheme. 

Many associated with Madoff expressed shock and disbelief at the news this morning.

Martin Flumenbaum of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, an attorney representing Mark and Andrew Madoff, released a statement earlier today after learning about the suicide.

"This is a terrible and unnecessary tragedy," he said.  "Mark was an innocent victim of his father’s monstrous crime who succumbed to two years of unrelenting pressure from false accusations and innuendo.  We are all deeply saddened by this shocking turn of events.”‬ ‪

Ira Lee Sorkin, Bernard Madoff's attorney, told CNBC: "This is a tragedy on many levels."

The Madoff Trustee is suing members of the Madoff family for $200 million in an attempt to recover any ill-gotten funds.  The trustee Irving Picard issued a statement about Madoff's death."This is a tragic development and my sympathy goes out to Mark Madoff's family."  He declined to say if any settlement talks had been underway with Mark Madoff.

The last time Mark Madoff had any contact whatsoever with his father was the day Bernard Madoff confessed -- December 10, 2008.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Andrew Madoff was currently the head of operations at Black Umbrella, a consulting firm started after the Ponzi scandal was revealed.

 Follow us on Twitter @NBCNewYork,and on Facebook/NBCNewYork, and sign up for breaking news SMS alerts on your phone by texting “NYBREAKING” to 639710.