Estevan Rosa was born Aug. 12, shortly after his parents moved to a new duplex to protect their baby's health.
Secondhand smoke was the concern when they were living in an apartment in the Deerfield Beach complex Pine Tree Meadows.
"The neighbors upstairs, they’re heavy smokers and they would smoke inside their unit," said Amuary Rosa. "And the smoke would filter from their unit down to our unit."
His wife was pregnant at the time.
"That time was exactly the time that the baby was forming his lungs and I was so worried about what could happen with the baby," said Renata Rosa.
Secondhand smoke, according to the American Lung Association, can increase the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, asthma and ear infections.
Ironically the Rosas had just moved into their apartment in May, after having issues with mold and smoke at a different complex.
They contacted the lung association, which has a campaign promoting smoke-free living communities.
"We don’t want laws. We're promoting a voluntary policy that landlords and property management are doing this voluntarily," said Kamilie Belizaire of the American Lung Association.
On its website the organization posts the locations of smoke-free multi-unit housing. There are only five so far in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
"It's been taking off in other states like in Massachusetts, in Maine, California especially, and now it's on its way down to Florida," said Belizaire.
The Rosas were able to get out of their lease without a problem, except for the inconvenience of moving twice in three months during a pregnancy.
"Now I know that the baby’s breathing pure air, better air. I'm very happy for that," said Rosa.
More Health Content:
- New Campaign Targets Teens and Mental Health
- Dr. Oz Aids Tourist Hit by Cab Driver
- Back to School Physicals