Suspect in Drive-By Shooting That Killed Boy, 7, Surrenders to Police | NBC 6 South Florida

Suspect in Drive-By Shooting That Killed Boy, 7, Surrenders to Police

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Police have arrested two men suspected in a drive-by shooting that killed a 7-year-old boy visiting family for the holidays in southwest Miami-Dade. (Published Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015)

    Police have arrested two men suspected in a drive-by shooting that killed a 7-year-old boy visiting family for the holidays in southwest Miami-Dade.

    Suspected gunman Dravein Duke, 19, known as "Pop," surrendered to Miami-Dade police Tuesday morning. Maxwell Trewin, 18, identified as the getaway driver, was arrested Monday.

    Police said the shooting happened while 7-year-old Amiere Castro was playing with toys Sunday at a relative's home near Southwest 152nd Street and Jackson Street. Trewin drove a white Dodge Ram past the house while Duke opened fire, hitting Amiere in the head, according to police.

    The truck was found Monday near the scene of the shooting.

    Suspect in Shooting That Killed Boy Surrenders to Police

    [MI] Suspect in Shooting That Killed Boy Surrenders to Police
    Police have arrested two men suspected in a drive-by shooting that killed a 7-year-old boy visiting family for the holidays in southwest Miami-Dade. (Published Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015)

    Witnesses told NBC 6 that Duke had been at the house earlier Sunday and had gotten into an argument with one of the adults living inside. Police haven't confirmed that information.

    He was charged with second-degree murder, two counts of aggravated battery/attempted murder with a deadly weapon, shooting a deadly missile and discharging a firearm from a vehicle.

    "Me, personally, anytime a child is hurt in that manner, it has an impact on all of us and it talks a lot about our community," Miami-Dade Police Deputy Director Juan Perez said. "Are we willing to stand by and do nothing or get involved?"

    Police said Trewin suffered a dog bite while being taken into custody and is being treated for his injuries. He was charged with second-degree murder.

    2 Arrested in Shooting of 7-Year-Old Boy: Miami-Dade Police

    [MI] 2 Arrested in Shooting of 7-Year-Old Boy: Miami-Dade Police
    Suspected gunman Dravein Duke and alleged getaway driver Maxwell Trewin are arrested in the shooting of 7-year-old Amiere Castro, Miami-Dade POlice said. (Published Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015)

    It wasn't immediately clear if Duke or Trewin had hired attorneys who could comment on the charges they face.

    "That just shows that when the community backs us, backs the state attorney, when we come together, when we're divided we're very weak but united we're strong," Perez said.

    A third person linked to the shooting has not been arrested because there is not enough evidence to charge him or her, police said. At the time of the fatal shooting, police said four people were traveling in the truck but police said Tuesday they were only searching for three suspects.

    Anyone with additional information is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

    Mother of Boy Killed in Drive-By Shooting Speaks

    [MI] Mother of Boy Killed in Drive-By Shooting Speaks
    Shannalynn Castro, mother of 7-year-old Amiere Castro, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in southwest Miami-Dade, speaks with NBC 6. (Published Monday, Dec. 28, 2015)

    News breaks at inconvenient times.  Download the NBC6 mobile app and have the news come to you. Watch live streaming newscasts, receive critical push notifications on the go and stay in touch with your city around the clock. 

     

    Get the latest from NBC 6 South Florida anywhere, anytime: iPhone/iPad App | Twitter| Facebook| Google+| Instagram| RSS