4 People Injured in Explosion During 4th of July Barbecue at Hialeah Gardens Home

A propane tank from a gas oven exploded, police said

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Four people were injured after a propane tank connected to a barbecue grill exploded at a Hialeah Gardens home Thursday, police said. Witnesses said the explosion happened during a Fourth of July barbecue at 9884 NW 135th St. Witnesses and police comment.

    Four people were injured after a propane tank connected to a barbecue grill exploded at a Hialeah Gardens home Thursday, police said.

    Witnesses said the explosion happened during a Fourth of July barbecue at 9884 NW 135th St.

    4 People Injured in Explosion During 4th of July BBQ

    [MI] 4 People Injured in Explosion During 4th of July Barbecue at Hialeah Gardens Home
    Four people were injured after a gas oven’s propane tank exploded at a home Thursday, Hialeah Gardens Police said. Witnesses Steven Villar and Luis Silva described the explosion, which occurred during a Fourth of July barbecue at 9884 NW 135th St.

    NBC 6 Videos

    Hialeah Gardens Lt. Carlos Fojo said the gas line leading from the propane tank to the grill – which is built into a back exterior wall of the house – had a leak.

    After enough gas built up, Fojo said of the tank, "the pressure caused the drawers to come out, as well as it blew a door off of it."

    Man Lost Hand After Firework Explosion in Pompano Beach: BSO

    Four men nearby were hurt, including the homeowner. All four received burns to their lower extremities, and two had burns to their upper body as well, police said. They were taken by ground and then by air to Jackson Memorial Hospital's burn unit.

    One victim was critically injured, police said.

    Grill owners can check for leaks by turning on the gas tank and checking for the smell of gas. They can also pour soapy water over the hose and tank. If bubbles form, there is a leak.

    More Local Stories: