Four people were injured after a propane tank connected to a barbecue grill exploded at a Hialeah Gardens home Thursday, police said.
Witnesses said the explosion happened during a Fourth of July barbecue at 9884 NW 135th St.
Hialeah Gardens Lt. Carlos Fojo said the gas line leading from the propane tank to the grill – which is built into a back exterior wall of the house – had a leak.
After enough gas built up, Fojo said of the tank, "the pressure caused the drawers to come out, as well as it blew a door off of it."
Four men nearby were hurt, including the homeowner. All four received burns to their lower extremities, and two had burns to their upper body as well, police said. They were taken by ground and then by air to Jackson Memorial Hospital's burn unit.
One victim was critically injured, police said.
Grill owners can check for leaks by turning on the gas tank and checking for the smell of gas. They can also pour soapy water over the hose and tank. If bubbles form, there is a leak.
More Local Stories:
- Mother Shot to Death Inside Bathroom: Police
- 1 Person Airlifted After 2-Car Accident on Krome Ave.
- Tim Hardaway 1st To Sign Equal Marriage Petition