Antonio Caballero Sues FARC in Miami After Father's Death in Colombia | NBC 6 South Florida

Antonio Caballero Sues FARC in Miami After Father's Death in Colombia

Carlos Caballero was the former president of the Colombian Liberal Party

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images

    The son of a former Colombian senator allegedly kidnapped and killed in 1999 is suing the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia and other rebel groups in Miami district court.

    Antonio Caballero says he was forced to abandon his businesses and property and flee to safety in Florida after his father's death.

    South Floridians React to Elderly Cocaine 'Godmother' Killing

    [MI] South Floridians React to Elderly Cocaine 'Godmother' Killing
    West Miami Police Chief Nelson Andreu’s phone was swamped with phone calls. The news was Griselda Blanco was dead on Monday. Gunned down while shopping in a Medellin, Colombia meat market. A City of Miami Homocide Detective said he got ten calls in ten minutes. (Published Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012)

    The lawsuit filed last week said the groups held his 76-year-old father hostage for more than six months, denied him food and water and forced him to traverse dense jungles. According to the lawsuit, FARC demanded $6 million ransom before shooting Carlos Caballero multiple times.

    Caballero was the former president of the Colombian Liberal Party and a vocal critic against FARC and drug trafficking.

    Colombia Seizes Pair of Drug Submarines

    The lawsuit claims damages under state racketeering laws and wrongful death under Colombian law.

    Colombian Baby With Rare Birth Defect at JMH

    US & World News