Three Cutler Bay families were displaced after an early morning apartment fire destroyed their units and sent two people to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue workers responded to the Cutler Meadows Apartment complex on SW 113th and 119th St. Friday morning just after midnight.
Officials believe the fire started in a first floor unit and quickly spread to two other units on top. The building was forced to evacuate for a couple of hours as fire crews checked each unit for carbon monoxide.
“We heard the fire alarm and we walked down the hall and saw all of this smoke and the first thing I did was grab my son and ran down and by the time I came back to the building and walked to the back there were all of the flames,” said resident Kiara Estelles.
The Red Cross is putting at least two families up in area hotels as they re-group. There is major structure damage to the units as concrete fell from the ceiling.