Apartments Evacuated After Gas Leak: Miami Fire Rescue

Friday, Jan 10, 2014  |  Updated 12:43 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Residents were given the all-clear to move back into their apartments at 6312 Northwest 12th Ave. late Thursday night after they were forced from their homes by a gas leak. NBC 6's Christina Hernandez reports.

Residents were given the all-clear to move back into their apartments at 6312 Northwest 12th Ave. late Thursday night after they were forced from their homes by a gas leak. NBC 6's Christina Hernandez reports.

Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Residents were given the all-clear to move back into four Miami apartment buildings late Thursday night after they were forced from their homes by a gas leak.

The leak forced residents from the buildings in the area of Northwest 12th Avenue and 63rd Street, Miami Fire Rescue said.

Miami Fire Rescue was dispatched at 6 p.m. after getting reports of a heavy smell of gas coming from several apartments, agency spokesman Lt. Ignatius Carroll said in an email.

Authorities determined that the levels of gas were too dangerous for residents to remain inside, and firefighters and Miami Police officers began evaucating the apartments until TECO Gas Co. arrived, Carroll said.

Teshon Yarbough called the situation "horrible."

"Horrible, ‘cause we have nowhere to go now at this moment – so just walking up and down,” she said.

The gas company found the leak on the sidewalk area in front of the apartments.

Heavy equipment was brought to break ground and gain access to the leak, and TECO crews were finishing up their work late Thursday night.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out