Coast Guard Ends Search for Woman Who Went Overboard From Cruise Ship | NBC 6 South Florida

Coast Guard Ends Search for Woman Who Went Overboard From Cruise Ship

    processing...
    Country
    Total
    1
    United States
    373432103
    2
    China
    22182565
    3
    Great Britain
    24211358

    NEWSLETTERS

    The U.S. Coast Guard said they're searching for 24-year-old Kaylyn Rose Sommer, from Charleston, S.C., after she went overboard on the Norwegian Pearl. NBC 6's Dan Krauth has the story. (Published Friday, Nov. 13, 2015)

    The U.S. Coast Guard has called off its search for a woman seen "intentionally going overboard" off an EDM party cruise ship during the 2015 Mad Decent Boat Party late Thursday off the coast of Cuba.

    Kaylyn Rose Sommer, 24, of Charleston, South Carolina, went overboard off the chartered Norwegian Pearl, according to officials with the cruise line. Sommer, who has a young daughter, married her husband on the same cruise last year.

    Officials said the woman went into the water 22 nautical miles off the coast of Cuba around 7 p.m. Thursday. Three days later, the Coast Guard suspended its search.

    "Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones affected by this terrible tragedy," Coast Guard Capt. Todd Coggeshall told NBC News in a statement. "We are all sons and daughters, and many of our responders have young children themselves. Suspending search efforts is always a painful decision, particularly when it involves a young mother."

    The Coast Guard said it is still investigating the circumstances leading up to the woman's fall. Officials with the cruise line said Sommer "was observed intentionally going overboard."

    Coast Guard officials said the planned cruise, which was slated for Nov. 11-15, has been halted. The party cruise set sail Wednesday from Miami and was en route to Cozumel, Mexico. The EDM party featured performances from dozens of popular EDM acts, including Diplo, Skrillex, the producer duo Major Lazer and A-Trak, among many others.

    The cruise ship company released the following statement about the incident:

    Search Continues for Woman Who Went Overboard

    [MI] Search Continues for Woman Who Went Overboard
    A woman was seen 'intentionally going overboard' an EDM party cruise ship during the 2015 Mad Decent Boat Party late Thursday off the coast of Cuba, cruise line officials said. NBC 6's Dan Krauth reports. (Published Friday, Nov. 13, 2015)

    "On Thursday, Nov. 12, during a chartered cruise on Norwegian Pearl, a female guest was observed intentionally going overboard while the ship was sailing the Yucatan Channel. The ship's crew immediately initiated rescue measures, including deploying three rescue boats and notifying the Coast Guard and other relevant authorities. The search for the guest is ongoing. Both the ship and charter company teams are providing support to the family and all impacted guests during this difficult time."

    The Cuban government was notified of the search efforts, but did not participate, Coast Guard officials said.

    Stay with NBC 6 for updates on this developing story.

    News breaks at inconvenient times.  Download the NBC6 mobile app and have the news come to you. Watch live streaming newscasts, receive critical push notifications on the go and stay in touch with your city around the clock. 

     

    Get the latest from NBC 6 South Florida anywhere, anytime: iPhone/iPad App | Twitter| Facebook| Google+| Instagram| RSS