Coast Guard Suspends Search for Cuban Migrants Missing Off Key Biscayne

Coast Guard ends 25-hour search for two men who went missing in waters off Key Biscayne

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2013  |  Updated 6:11 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
One migrant was found dead and another was hospitalized in serious condition Monday as the Coast Guard searched for two others missing in the waters off Key Biscayne. The man rescued was pulled to safety on his 43rd birthday, Miami Fire Rescue said. NBC 6’s Justin Finch reports.

One migrant was found dead and another was hospitalized in serious condition Monday as the Coast Guard searched for two others missing in the waters off Key Biscayne. The man rescued was pulled to safety on his 43rd birthday, Miami Fire Rescue said. NBC 6’s Justin Finch reports.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

1 Cuban Migrant Dead, 1 in Serious Condition

One person was found dead and a 42-year-old man was taken to a hospital in serious condition as authorities responded to Cuban migrants found off Key Biscayne Monday, officials said. Miami Fire Rescue Lt. Charlie McDermott spoke with NBC 6's Willard Shepard about the incident.

RAW VIDEO: Miami Fire Rescue Taking Rafter to Mercy Hospital

One person has been found dead and a 42-year-old man is being taken to a hospital in serious condition as authorities respond to Cuban migrants found off Key Biscayne Monday, officials said.
More Photos and Videos

The Coast Guard has suspended its search for two Cuban migrants who went missing in the waters off Key Biscayne.

After 25 hours of searching, the Coast Guard announced Tuesday night that it was suspending their efforts for the two men who were reported missing after one migrant was found dead and another was rescued Monday.

A total of 1,491 square nautical miles were searched with boat and air crews from the Coast Guard, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

"We want to express our deepest condolences to the friends and families who lost loved ones in this tragic incident," said Marilyn Fajardo, deputy public affairs officer for the Coast Guard.

Good Samaritans Ken Cary and his wife Deborah Cary found one man struggling to survive on three rubber inner tubes about 7 miles southeast of Key Biscayne Monday. He was pulled to safety on his 43rd birthday and taken to Mercy Miami Hospital for treatment, officials said.

The man who was rescued said there were three other people in the water who had possibly drowned after he lost contact with them during their trip through the Florida Straits, the Coast Guard said.

The rafters had been at sea for six days, according to Miami Fire Rescue. When crews searched, they located the body floating just north of where the man was rescued.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out