A family has been displaced after a young boy set fire to his northwest Miami-Dade apartment.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials say firefighters responded to the apartment at 1351 Northwest 103rd Street around 8:30 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze but not before it destroyed the first floor apartment, officials said.
Officials and family members said the fire was started by a 7-year-old boy, who lit his bunk bed up. The family was able to escape uninjured.
"Everybody's okay, I'm just glad that we're alive," mother Christy Davis said.
"I had a fire and I light the bed up and then... all the stuff get on fire," young Amoz Davis said.
"I woke up to the heat," said Amoz's father Brandon Knight. "He did not wake me up. I was on the couch. He didn't wake me up. When I woke up, he was standing by the room and he was stuck. I grabbed him."
One neighbor said he tried to use a fire extinguisher to no avail.
"But when I get right to the door, it was too hot to get in. The fire was too hot," Arthur Lewis said.
"Don't leave lighters around your kids 'cause it's very dangerous," Christy Davis said.
It's a message yojng Amoz knows all too well know.
"Do not play with fire 'cause it's too dangerous," Amoz said.
Amoz will go through a fire safety program. The Red Cross is helping the family with housing in the wake of the fire.