A fire at a Hallandale Beach apartment building completely destroyed one unit and forced several residents to evacuate early Friday.
The fire happened around 1 a.m. at the 8-unit apartment building at 218 SE 7th St.
Residents and witnesses said the fire started in a woman's apartment and quickly spread across the roof, threatening the units on either side. Neighbors said they went door to door warning others to get out of the complex.
Firefighters arrived and found flames in the kitchen and heavy smoke. They put out the fire but not before it had destroyed the woman's apartment and damaged the building's electrical wiring. No injuries were reported.
The woman who lives in the apartment where the fire started didn't want to be identified but said she had just moved to the building from Miami Gardens.
Fire officials said the blaze started in a stove, and ruled it accidental.
Some of the residents were told they wouldn't be allowed back into their units, and the Red Cross was helping the families find a place to stay.