Firefighters responded to a building fire that had intense flames and billowing black smoke in west Miami-Dade late Wednesday afternoon.
Flames were on the roof when crews arrived at the building under construction at Southwest 8th Street and 127th Avenue, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said.
They had largely doused the blaze a short time later. The accidental fire was caused by a tar pot spill, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Arnold Piedrahita Jr.
The building under construction is a new public housing unit called Gran Via, a Miami-Dade County spokeswoman said.
Traffic was diverted in the area during the fire.
Stay with NBC6.com and NBC 6 South Florida for updates.