Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
Seminole County Sheriff Donald Eslinger and attorney Mark O'Mara talk to reporters after George Zimmerman turned himself into authorities. Zimmerman was booked at the John E. Polk Correctional Facility with no bond status.
The attorneys for George Zimmerman say they've received a second round of discovery from prosecutors in the Trayvon Martin shooting case.
Seven compact discs containing hundreds of pages of documents, surveillance video, police radio transmissions, crime scene photos, 911 calls from Zimmerman made before the night of the shooting, and other items were delivered to Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara, according to a Friday post on his official website, gzlegalcase.com.
Documents include a crime scene diagram, as well as additional reports from the Sanford Police Department, Florida Department of Law Enforcement and FBI.
O'Mara said he has 30 days to review the discovery before it's made available to the public, according to the June 1 order from Judge Kenneth Lester.
Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder for the killing of Martin, 17, of Miami Gardens, in a Sanford gated community on Feb. 26. Zimmerman claims self-defense.
O'Mara said he expects additional discovery to be disclosed as the case develops.
But he does not want some of his client's jail phone calls released, O'Mara said in a second post Friday on gzlegalcase.com. He said he planned to file a motion on the matter Monday.
"Our motion will contend that the majority of the phone calls are personal and irrelevant to the charges against Mr. Zimmerman or issues surrounding the next bond hearing. Moreover, the public release of these phone calls could jeopardize the privacy of friends and family of Mr. Zimmerman who are unrelated to the case," O'Mara said. "We will not be objecting to the release of phone calls that include conversations relevant to the the bond hearing or the charges Mr. Zimmerman faces."
A spokeswoman for State Attorney Angela Corey, the special prosecutor overseeing the case, said in an email Friday that is asking Judge Lester to reconsider his order on the matter. Because of that, only six jail calls will be released Monday, instead of the 151 Corey's office had planned to release then, the spokeswoman said.
Meantime, The Miami Herald reported Friday that the evidence just delivered to the defense includes records showing that the FBI sent at least 10 special agents to Central Florida after the shooting. They interviewed up to a dozen guns dealers, gun range employees and private investigators about Zimmerman, the newspaper reported.
Zimmerman bought the Kel Tek 9mm semiautomatic handgun he used on Feb. 26 from Shoot Straight in Casselberry, according to the Herald.
The store's owner, Khaled Akkawi, recounted for the paper how a couple of FBI agents came to his business asking if he recognized Zimmerman from a photo they showed him. Akkawi was listed as a witness in a list tied to the second round of discovery.
Zimmerman remains behind bars following a hearing earlier this month in which Lester revoked his bond, claiming Zimmerman misled Lester and prosecutors about his finances and passport. On Tuesday, Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, was arrested on one count of perjury related to the disclosure of funds. She bonded out of jail that afternoon.