Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer charged in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin, says the judge presiding over his case has made disparaging remarks about him. Zimmerman says in an appeal filed Tuesday that he fears Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. is biased against him and he wants a new judge to handle his case.
Attorneys for George Zimmerman will be back in court this month to request subpoenas be issued for the school, phone and social media records of Trayvon Martin.
The hearing has been set for Oct. 19, according to a posting on Zimmerman's attorneys' website Sunday.
Last month, Zimmerman's attorneys sent subpoenas to the Miami area schools attended by the 17-year-old, including Norland Middle School, Miami Carol City High School, Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High and Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
They've also issued subpoenas for potentially relevant data from social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for fatally shooting Martin during a confrontation in a gated community in Sanford last February. Zimmerman is pleading not guilty, claiming self-defense.
"Trayvon’s parents maintain that his school records and Facebook page are completely irrelevant to George Zimmerman’s decision to get out of his car to profile, pursue, and shoot their son in the heart on February 26, 2012," Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement Monday night. "How does George Zimmerman’s review of Trayvon Martin’s high school and middle school records and Facebook page bear any relevance to Zimmerman’s decision to pull the trigger and kill a 17-year-old child?"
In other documents posted Sunday, Zimmerman's attorneys filed a motion to request review of recordings of the witness identified as Witness 9. The attorneys also filed a motion for continuance in the case, saying there is a "large amount of discovery yet to be completed."