Firefighters responded to an assisted living facility Saturday afternoon after a blaze broke out at the high rise building, officials said.
The fire was reported around 4 p.m. on the sixth floor of the building at 800 Northwest 13th Avenue, Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Ignatius Carroll said.
Some residents were evacuated and fire officials are assessing the damage.
One resident and one police officer were transported to nearby hospitals with smoke inhalation, Carroll said.
The fire left three floors without power and two elevators out of service. Firefighters had to assist some of the elderly residents out of the building, even carrying some to safety.
Carroll said the power problems were caused by the large amount of water poured into the building to put the fire out.
The fire is believed to have been started by some candles that were left unattended.