Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz are traveling to Panama to discuss the expansion of the Panama Canal.
Schultz has advocated expanding Port Everglades and the Port of Miami, saying they play a crucial role in South Florida's economy. Republican Gov. Rick Scott
has also rallied around Florida port expansions.
The Panama Canal expansion will double the capacity of the canal and allow significantly larger ships to call on U.S. ports.
Biden and Wasserman Schultz, D-FL, will also meet with Panama's president Ricardo Martinelli during Monday's visit.
More NBC6.com Stories:
- PHOTOS: Outrageous Black Friday Behavior
- 3 Arrested After Dancing Atop SUV in Busy Intersection
- Man Runs on Arms and Legs to New World Record
- Men Steal Dog Mannequin From Mall
- Man Falls Through Glass Ceiling at Hollywood Hotel