Kids Victims of Foreclosure, Monoxide Poisoning

Family may have been using an indoor generator for months

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    ALTADENA, CA - JULY 25: A foreclosed home is up for sale again, like thousands of others across throughout the sate, on July 25, 2008 in Altadena, California. Foreclosure filings skyrocketed 121 percent from last year and the number of homeowners faced with foreclosure more than doubled in the second quarter compared to a year ago, according to the latest reports from RealtyTrac. Hardest hit are cities in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Florida. In Stockton, California, one in every 25 homes were foreclosed upon, nearly seven times the national average. In the second quarter, US banks took back 222,000 properties. This the eighth consecutive quarterly climb. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

    Often times, it's the parents that are considered the victims in foreclosures, but Monday showed why the real victims can be the children.

    Four children were sent to the hospital after they fell ill from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning likely caused by an indoor gas generator being used to provide electricty to their house because the power had been shut off.

    Carbon Monoxide Scare

    [MI] Carbon Monoxide Scare
    A father trying to make ends meet accidentally nearly kills his children by running a gas generator for electricity

    The family had recently been notified by the bank that their house was being placed in foreclosure and the lights soon went out after that.

    "This family had been suffering for some time," said Sgt. Frank Sousa with the Fort Lauderdale Police.

    Two of the children are in critical condition and on ventilators, while two others have been treated and released. Hospital officials said the children still in their car are expected to recover.

    The children's father, 36-year-old Derek Frazier, has been unemployed for some time, according to police, and the family may have been living off the generator for months. The invisible, dangerous fumes soon filled the home and the kids ingested the poison with every breath.

    He told police he tried to wake the children up for school, but they weren't responding. That's when he rushed them to the hospital.

    Frazier told police that he would shut the generator off when the family was home and that he would open the windows for ventilation. But his efforts weren't enough.

    Police have not filed charges against the father, but they are still investigating.