BARCELONA, SPAIN - APRIL 10: David Beckham of Paris St Germain before the UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg match between Barcelona and Paris St Germain at Nou Camp on April 10, 2013 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
The official announcement of a Major League Soccer Franchise in Miami could come as soon as the New Year, reported NBC Sports.
Former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star David Beckham said the announcement would hopefully come by January 1st, according to NBC Sports.
"Hopefully there will be an announcement before the new year,” Beckham said in an interview with Sky Sports in the UK. “We haven’t announced that it’s definitely going to be Miami yet but obviously I’ve been seen in Miami quite a few times. We’re getting the details right at the moment.”
Beckham's group has asked Miami-Dade County about the feasibility of building a soccer stadium at PortMiami, The Miami Herald reported Tuesday. The stadium would be located in the southwest corner of the port.
Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure and Miami Heat star LeBron James are among the people reportedly involved with Beckham's new franchise.
MLS has not officially awarded an expansion franchise to Beckham's group, but the league has shown interest in expanding into Florida. Orlando was named the newest MLS expansion team earlier this month.
More on NBC6.com: