A man accused of participating in a sexual battery that happened in Hollywood in 2006 was arrested after he was linked to a DNA kit that went untested by police for nearly eight years, authorities said.
Anthony Samuel, 27, is facing one count of sexual battery following his arrest Tuesday, jail records showed. Samuel appeared before Broward Circuit Judge John Hurley Wednesday morning, where his bond was set at $7,500.
"This is one of those cases where the court has come to the understanding that some DNA kits had been either misplaced or put aside and have now come to the surface," Hurley said. "It appears that something within the police department was dysfunctional."
Defense attorneys said Samuel was 19 at the time of the alleged incident and has since married and has a 1-year-old child. His wife of two years left the courthouse almost speechless.
“Lots of emotions going on,” Kristina Samuel said. “I heard about this story and I know its other peoples fault. So, for him to get charged with it…”
Detectives told the court that Samuel has been cooperative and they don’t believe he is a danger to his alleged victim if he was released. Samuel has a criminal record dating back to 2008 for attempted burglary and grand theft. He’s being held on a $7,500 bail and ordered not to have contact with the victim.
In June, Hollywood Police said 94 sexual assault evidence kits had been locked up in an evidence room and were never submitted to the crime lab. After an audit, 24 cases were reviewed and two arrests were made, police said.
Police Chief Frank Fernandez said he has created a special unit to handle all sexual assault cases and all rape test kits are now analyzed.