Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
A 57-year-old man caused an explosion in a Gainesville apartment Monday after he tried to set himself on fire in a bathtub, the Gainesville Sun reported.
Rescuers who responded to the incident, which occurred at Gateway at Glades at around 2:38 a.m., found the man was found in a bathtub containing gasoline, according to a police report. He suffered severe burns and was listed in critical but stable condition at Shands at the University of Florida, according to rescuers.
The fire caused damage to the apartment but was contained by a sprinkler system. An exterior wall was also found in the staircase, according to a report.
People living in the lower floors of the building will be temporarily displaced until the cause of the fire is determined, authorities said.
Gainesville Police Department spokeswoman Cpl. Angelina Valuri said authorities had not determined why the man was apparently trying to kill himself.
No other injuries were reported, the newspaper said.