Former Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino is working to remove his name from a lawsuit against the NFL over concussions, less than 24 hours after the suit was filed with him listed as a plaintiff.
The Hall of Famer and his lawyers will begin talks for him to withdraw from the suit, filed in federal court in Philadelphia.
Sun-Sentinel columnist Dave Hyde told NBC South Florida he thought the inclusion of Marino's name in the lawsuit was probably a mistake.
"I think that's exactly what happened," Hyde said. "His name got thrown into a lawsuit, either rightfully or wrongfully, and right now you have two sides trying to figure out exactly why Dan Marino's name is in the lawsuit."
Marino issued a statement Tuesday evening that read:
"Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma. In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries. I also disclaim any references in the form complaint of current head injuries."
Marino’s suit was first reported by the Los Angeles Times Monday.
Marino had alleged in his suit that he sustained repeated, traumatic concussions during NFL games and practices, and that he suffers from brain injury symptoms as a result.
The suit accused the NFL of negligence and fraudulent concealment and said it either knew or should have known that its policies were linked to what the suit said were a rash of players' concussions and brain injuries.
Being a plaintiff in such a suit could have posed problems for the legendary former Dolphins quarterback if he wanted to seek a job with his former team. Marino and the Dolphins have held talks on a position with the team, but nothing concrete has materialized yet.
According to SI.com's Peter King, Marino is still negotiating a role with the Dolphins and is also negotiating with AARP.
Marino was fired by CBS earlier this year as part of a restructuring of the NFL Today on Sunday morning. Marino had been an analyst at CBS for 12 years before he was let go in favor of retired tight end Tony Gonzalez.
Nearly 5,000 former players are involved in lawsuits have been filed against the NFL over the issue of concussions. A settlement nearing $700 million between the league and many of the players was rejected by a federal judge over concerns it wouldn’t be enough to cover the ongoing medical expenses.