Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones filed a letter of intent to sue Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle for multiple damages as a result of the two criminal cases filed against her.
The letter, dated Feb. 14, says that Spence-Jones “sustained damages as a result of the prosecutorial and investigatory misconduct" and other actions taken against her "without probable cause."
The suit filed by Spence-Jones’ attorneys at the Emery Celli Brinkerhoff & Abady law firm
claims that she “sustained further damages due to a number of false, defamatory statements” before, during, and after her criminal cases in statements, conferences and the like.
According to the The Miami Herald
, the lawsuit has not yet been filed, and state agencies must be notified six months prior to being sued, according to law.
Rundle's spokesman told the Herald her office could not comment on ongoing litigation.
Spence-Jones was suspended from her seat
by Gov. Charlie Crist in November 2009 when she allegedly directed $50,000 in a county grant for her personal use.
She regained her seat after running in January 2010, but was once again removed
by Crist just a mere day later, and a judge upheld Crist’s decision.
Spence-Jones was found not guilty
of the bribery charges in March 2011, and prosecutors abandoned the grand theft case later in August.
Gov. Rick Scott reinstated
Spence-Jones late August last year, and she has held her post since.
According to the letter of intent, Spence-Jones’ damages included "loss of liberty; economic losses; deprivation of her right to hold elected office; free speech/association rights; loss of reputation; and non-economic charges including humiliation, scorn, ridicule, physical harm, and emotional/psychological distress."