Miami-Dade School Board member Susie Castillo on Wednesday demanded an independent investigation be launched into the Oct. 19 car crash that fatally injured her daughter Andrea.
"My family and I are completely devastated, what has happened to my daughter. My daughter had just turned 21 the day before the accident," Castillo said during a news conference.
Her attorney, Jorge Silva, said he is considering a lawsuit against the city of Hialeah. He claims speeding on the part of a Hialeah police officer, who was in an unmarked car, is the cause of the catastrophic results of the accident, and that city officials are not being forthcoming with information.
Silva said he also reached out to the state attorney's office demanding an independent probe.
Arnie Alonso, Mayor Carlos Hernandez's chief of staff, said that Hialeah Police also contacted the state attorney's office and were advised not to release any information.
"I am angry at the way we've been treated," Castillo said.
She claims she was never contacted by Hialeah Police to inform her of the crash. She said she found out through friends of her daughter that she had been taken to the hospital.
Silva said that while police claim Castillo's daughter and her boyfriend were not wearing seatbelts, he has pictures to prove otherwise. Silva also stated that he has mailed and called the Mayor of Hialeah and has never gotten a response.
Alonso said in an email statement that Silva has not tried to communicate with the mayor directly. The city has gotten several letters from Silva's office, and they have been referred to the city attorney.
Hialeah Police spokesman Carl Zogby said there was no response to what was said during the news conference, and that they were waiting for the conclusion of the investigation.
In response to NBC 6's request for the 911 calls of the crash, the city clerk said they will not be released until the investigation is over.