Michelle Spence-Jones Says Judge Who Ruled Against Her Shouldn't Have Been Assigned to Case

The judge didn't disclose that he had been part of a team that investigated her at the State Attorney's Office, Spence-Jones said

By Hank Tester
|  Friday, Apr 12, 2013  |  Updated 12:49 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
When Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Cueto ruled that Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones could not run for re-election, he failed to disclose that he had investigated her when he was a lawyer in the State Attorney's Office, Spence-Jones said Thursday. She said he shouldn't have been assigned to the case, and questioned how he could be impartial, given the circumstances. Cueto said through a spokeswoman that he is not able to comment because of judicial rules. Emails showed that Spence-Jones and her attorney were aware that the judge was previously employed at the State Attorney's Office, but she claimed that only after Tuesday's decision went against her did she find out Cueto had been on a prosecution team targeting her.

When Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Cueto ruled that Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones could not run for re-election, he failed to disclose that he had investigated her when he was a lawyer in the State Attorney's Office, Spence-Jones said Thursday. She said he shouldn't have been assigned to the case, and questioned how he could be impartial, given the circumstances. Cueto said through a spokeswoman that he is not able to comment because of judicial rules. Emails showed that Spence-Jones and her attorney were aware that the judge was previously employed at the State Attorney's Office, but she claimed that only after Tuesday's decision went against her did she find out Cueto had been on a prosecution team targeting her.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Spence-Jones Cannot Seek 3rd Consecutive Term: Judge

Judge Jorge Cueto ruled Tuesday that Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones is prohibited from seeking a third consecutive term in office.

Rev. Richard Dunn Squares Off Against Michelle Spence-Jones Over Miami Commission Seat

Judge Jorge Cueto heard arguments Monday over whether District 5 Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones can legally run for a third term this fall in a lawsuit filed by Rev. Richard Dunn. The rivals have eyes on the same Miami City Commission seat. Cueto, Dunn, Dunn's attorney J.C. Planas, Spence-Jones and her attorney Bruce Rogow spoke about the issue.
More Photos and Videos

When Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Cueto ruled that Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones could not run for re-election, he failed to disclose that he had investigated her when he was a lawyer in the State Attorney’s Office, Spence-Jones said Thursday.

She said her attorney would file a motion to ask Cueto to step away from the case and order a new hearing in front of another judge.

"The judge should have never been assigned to the case, or should the judge have accepted the case, knowing he was part of the investigative team in a criminal case against me?” Spence-Jones said.

She questioned how the judge could be impartial, given the circumstances.

Cueto said he is not able to comment.

"Judge Cueto thanks you for the opportunity to comment; however, he must decline, as the judicial ethics canons prohibit judges from commenting on pending cases," spokeswoman Eunice Sigler said in an email.

At issue is whether Spence-Jones, who won two commission elections, is eligible for a third consecutive election because she had been suspended by the governor for much of her second term. Judge Cueto, siding with former commissioner the Rev. Richard Dunn, agreed Tuesday that since she had been elected twice she was not eligible for a third term. Term limits prevent commissioners from running for more than two consecutive full terms.

Dunn was appointed to fill Spence-Jones' seat while she faced bribery charges. Spence-Jones returned to office when she was exonerated.

Dunn is now running for the District 5 seat.

Dunn’s attorney, J.C. Planas, said the issue concerning the judge was discussed with Spence-Jones' attorney and that this is "nothing but an underhanded tactic by Michelle Spence-Jones.”

An exchange of emails showed that Spence-Jones and her attorney were aware that the judge was previously employed at the State Attorney’s Office.

“Judge Cueto was once a prosecutor in the public corruption division. He left that post in 2008 when he was elected judge,” Planas wrote.

“It will be my position that there is no reason to move for disqualification,” responded Spence-Jones’ attorney, Bruce Rogow.

Spence-Jones said they knew he worked at the State Attorney’s Office, but she claimed that only after the decision went against her did she find out Cueto had been on a prosecution team targeting her.

“During that hearing he never disclosed he was a part of a criminal investigation against me,” she said.

More Local Stories:

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out