Mother Accused of Kidnapping Children Gets 2 Years Probation

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A South Florida mother accused of taking her three sons across the country without permission was sentenced to two years probation Tuesday. NBC 6's Ari Odzer reports.

    A South Florida mother accused of taking her three sons across the country without permission was sentenced to two years probation Tuesday.

    Carrie Weingarth, 33, received the sentence after pleading no contest to custody interference charges.

    Weingarth had been charged with custody interference after she allegedly took the children to California earlier this year.

    The mother became the subject of a multi-state search after Miami-Dade Schools Police say she walked into Gulfstream Elementary School on Feb. 14 and without authorization from school officials or her kids' father took their 12-year-old son and disappeared along with his two brothers.

    Days later, Weingarth and her boyfriend were arrested in Barstow, California, and the children were returned to their father, Steven Pena.

    Pena will now be seeking full custody of all three children.

    "This is something that is now going to be addressed in family court, which in my opinion is where it should have been addressed in the first place," said Weingarth's attorney Rick Yabor. "I don't think this rose to the level of a criminal offense."

    Yabor said Weingarth will try to schedule supervised visits with her children.

    Get the latest from NBC 6 South Florida anywhere, anytime: iPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS