Calvin Melvin Jr., 27, and Brittney Sierra, 21, entered written not guilty pleas in court Friday to charges related to the disappearance of their son. Hallandale Beach Police Chief Dwayne Flournoy discussed the case.
The parents of a Hallandale Beach boy who went missing in 2011 and is presumed dead entered written not guilty pleas in court Friday to charges related to their son's disappearance.
Calvin Melvin, 27, is charged with making a false statement to a law enforcement officer while Brittney Sierra, 21, faces a charge of child neglect with bodily harm in the disappearance of Dontrell Melvin.
Calvin Melvin had also been charged with child neglect in January but the charge was later dropped.
Prosecutor Sheila Alu told NBC 6 that more charges could be filed pending the investigation being completed.
Police say Dontrell Melvin was just 5 months old when he was last seen around July 2011. His disappearance didn't become known to authorities until just last month, when a child welfare investigator spoke to Sierra regarding a child neglect case.
Under police questioning, Melvin and Sierra blamed each other in the boy's disappearance and each provided officers an area to search, authorities said.
Skeletal remains were later found in the backyard of a home where the parents reportedly used to live. Investigators are still waiting for DNA results for a positive identification of the remains but they suspect it is the baby boy.