Pet Pit Bull Dies in Pembroke Pines House Fire

Joan Morales says a popping sound woke her up at about 4 a.m.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A fire destroyed the interior of a Pembroke Pines house and claimed the life of a pet pit bull Wednesday. Joan Morales says the pet dog she lost was "my little company." (Published Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012)

    A fire destroyed the interior of a Pembroke Pines house and claimed the life of a pet pit bull Wednesday.

    Joan Morales says at about 4 a.m. a popping sound woke her from her sleep.

    She noticed an amber light under her bedroom door – opening it to find fire on the other side.

    “It was very scary. The only thing I could think of was how to get out,” said Morales, who lives at 1710 NW 93rd Ave. in the Rainbow Lakes subdivision. “I tried to get my dog out but I couldn’t find him. There was too much smoke and he wouldn’t come to me.”

    Morales said she escaped out the side door and called 911. After police arrived, they told her someone had set the fire outside her window, she said.

    “I don’t know who it could be. I have no enemies that I know of,” she said. “I don’t have any disagreements with my neighbors or anyone.”

    Her roof is badly damaged, as her 15-year-old pit bull Caesar is gone.

    There were no other injuries, the Pembroke Pines Fire Department said.

    “He was my little company. He followed me around everywhere and we’d go for walks and hear noises, he would let me know, so he’s better than an alarm,” Morales said of her dog. “Now he’s gone.”