Possible Suspect Questioned in Massive School Lockdown Threat | NBC 6 South Florida

Possible Suspect Questioned in Massive School Lockdown Threat

Person of interest not cooperating: police

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Possible Suspect Questioned in Massive School Lockdown Threat
    AP
    A woman who did not want to be identified talks with Pembroke Pines police officer Michael Banks, right, outside of the Walter C. Young Middle School in Pembroke Pines, Fla., Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010. Schools in Broward County were on lockdown Wednesday, and police in bullet-proof vests guarded at least some entrances after authorities said an unidentified woman called a radio station, saying her husband might go to a school and start shooting. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

    Police are questioning a person of interest involved in the "credible threat" that led to the lockdown of every Broward County school Wednesday.

    Pembroke Pines Police said Thursday that they have interviewed the unidentified person, but that person wasn't being cooperative, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

    "No one has been arrested," Pembroke Pines Police Capt. Dan Rakofsky said.

    Police also said the person of interest does not live in South Florida, but is in the state.

    As students enjoy a day off from school for Veteran's Day, many questions remain unanswered as to what really happened Wednesday, when all of Broward's public schools were in lockdown.

    Authorities said the lockdown was ordered as a precaution after a woman called a local radio station Wednesday morning and said her husband was going to go to a Pembroke Pines school and start shooting.

    Police said the radio station had also received an e-mail threat saying that "something big was going to happen" around government buildings in Broward County, possibly at a post office or even a school.

    Pembroke Pines schools were put on lockdown after the threat was made around 8:40 a.m., and by 11 a.m., the decision was made to lockdown all Broward county schools and charter schools. It was later lifted and school was dismissed with all after-school activities canceled.

    Schools will be open Friday, School Board officials announced.

    Detectives said late Wednesday that the man who made the threat saw a clip of Joyce Kaufman, conservative radio host on 850 WFTL, on MSNBC and wrote her an e-mail in support of gun rights, describing what he'd do to further "their cause."

    In the clip, Kaufman, who had been selected as Republican U.S. Rep.-elect Allen West's chief of staff, railed about gun rights.

    "If ballots don't work, bullets will," she told a crowd at a rally.

    On Thursday, Kaufman said she would not be joining West's staff.