Suspect in Miami-Dade Police Chase Relocated to Jail

Darrell Conyers, 45, drove about 20 to 30 miles across the county in a U-Haul truck on Friday, trying to avoid an arrest, according to Miami-Dade police

View Comments ()



    NBC 6 reporters Willard Shepard and Steve Litz cover that police pursuit that unfolded Friday across Miami-Dade. Police spokeswoman Aida Fina-Milian is interviewed. (Published Friday, Dec. 7, 2012)

    The suspect in Friday’s lengthy police chase across Miami-Dade County -- which resulted in multiple collisions and left two officers injured -- had cuts and bruises and looked dazed as he was wheeled away in a gurney following his arrest. 

    Darrell Conyers, 45, spent time at a hospital and on Saturday morning was relocated to Miami-Dade’s Pre-Trial Detention Center to face a slew of criminal charges, jail records show.

    RAW VIDEO: Police Pursuit Ends in Miami

    [MI] RAW VIDEO: Police Pursuit Ends in Miami
    Footage shows the police chase of a U-Haul truck through the streets of Miami ending. (Published Friday, Dec. 7, 2012)

    According to jail records, the charges against him are three counts of aggravated battery on an officer using a vehicle, one count of resisting an officer with violence, one count of fleeing and eluding police, two counts of ID fraud, one count of third-degree grand theft, two counts of uttering forged bills and one count of organized fraud.

    RAW VIDEO: Police Pursuit Ends in Miami

    Conyers also was held on a prior case of knowingly driving without a driver’s license, the records show.

    Friday, Conyers drove about 20 to 30 miles across the county in a U-Haul truck, trying to prevent police from arresting him, according to Miami-Dade police.

    Police cruisers were seen following the U-Haul truck, including across the Palmetto Expressway and through the Kendall area. The truck sometimes went the wrong way on roadways and didn't stop at stop signs. It struck several civilian and police vehicles, police said.

    More Local Stories

    The truck went through several neighborhood streets near the Palmetto, and the chase ended in the 2400 block of Southwest First Street, adjacent to Miami Senior High School. 

    A Miami-Dade police officer suffered a broken leg during the arrest and was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police said.

    A second officer, who works for the city of Miami police, cut his hand on some broken glass.

    Conyers was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Saturday, his jail photo showed him with a swollen left eyelid.

    RAW VIDEO: Suspect in Police Chase Placed into Ambulance