Teen Arrested in Overtown Party Massacre

Charged with double-homicide after opening fire on crowd of revelers

By Todd Wright
|  Thursday, Aug 20, 2009  |  Updated 7:44 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Chaos in Overtown

Miami Police

Rodney Miller, 18, is charged with murder.

Photos and Videos

Chaos in Overtown

Fireworks gave way toa hail of bullets in the streets of Overtown after 3 gunmen opened fire on a crowd of party goers. One woman has died.
More Photos and Videos

A Miami teen has been fingered by police as one of the masked gunmen who opened fire on a crowd of party goers in Overtown earlier this summer.

Rodney Miller, 18, was arrested Wednesday and charged with double-homicide in connection with the shooting. But Miller didn't act alone, Miami Police Chief John Timoney said during a press conference announcing the arrest.

"We are asking for assistance in helping to bring to justice a few other individuals involved,'' he said.

On July 6, a group of party goers were dancing in the streets of Overtown at a birthday celebration when at least three gunmen dressed in all black opened fire with automatic weapons, sending a hail of bullets into the frantic crowd. An AK-47 assault rifle and five pistols were found at the scene by police.

Visiting college student Michelle Coleman, 21, was gunned down as was 17-year-old high school football player Anthony Smith. Ten others were hit with bullets and many were treated at the hospital with various injuries. One woman was hit by a car while fleeing the scene.

Anyone with information is urged to call the City of Miami Police Department’s Homicide Unit at (305) 579-6530 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6 connects... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out