Treacy Won't Spend Over 50 Years Behind Bars

Prosecutor caps Ratley beating suspect's potential prison time

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBCMiami.com
    Wayne Treacy in court on August 18, 2010.

    Wayne Treacy will likely be heading to prison, but he won't spend more than 50 years behind bars.

    The 16-year-old accused of beating classmate Josie Lou Ratley nearly to death last year was in a Fort Lauderdale courtroom Thursday, where the prosecutor handling the case agreed to cap any possible sentence at 50 years, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

    Wayne Treacy: I'm a Monster

    [MI] Wayne Treacy: I'm a Monster
    More interrogation tape released of Wayne Treacy, who is accused of trying to beat a girl to death over a text message.

    Prosecutor Maria Schneider agreed to the cap in part to get the case moving along. It was Treacy's first court appearance since August, and Schneider said zero depositions had taken place since that appearance.

    "I'd be happy to agree to a cap if that's the hold up in this case and reason we've had no depositions," Schneider said during Thursday's hearing.

    Wayne Treacy Interrogation

    [MI] Wayne Treacy Interrogation
    Wayne Treacy tells a detective what led to his attack on Josie Lou Ratley.

    Treacy has been behind bars since the March 17 attack on the then 15-year-old Ratley at a bus stop outside Deerfield Beach Middle School. The attack was allegedly prompted by a text message from Ratley mentioning Treacy's dead brother.

    He faces an adult charge of attempted murder and normally would be facing life in prison.

    Treacy is due back in court in March.