Beating victim Rene Betancourt takes his first steps at Jackson Memorial Hospital since the attack, in this video released by his family.
The South Florida man who was brutally beaten in downtown Miami over the weekend took his first steps since the attack Thursday night.
Family members of Rene Betancourt shared a video of the 22-year-old walking in the halls of Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Betancourt sustained severe injuries when he was attacked Saturday night in the area of Northeast 3rd Street and Biscayne Boulevard.
Betancourt told his family that he had been jumped by four or five black males, a Miami Police report said.
His father found him in a parking lot near the hospital, hours after the attack happened.
When doctors examined Betancourt, they found he had a fractured skull, fractured left orbital bone, laceration to his head and blood clots in his head, the report said.
Betancourt's father said his son had been living abroad until recently, and was going to meet with a group called Miami Downtown Skaters when the attack happened. There have been no arrests in the beating.
Jackson Memorial Foundation has set up a fund for Betancourt to aid in his recovery. Anyone interested in helping can make a donation here. The foundation will also accept checks made out to Jackson Memorial Foundation with the victim’s name in the memo line.