Firefighters rescued a woman and her cats after a fire broke out in her Fort Lauderdale apartment Wednesday morning.
Rescue crews arrived around 11:45 a.m. to the apartment at 1405 North Andrews Avenue after receiving a call of a person and several cats trapped due to a fire.
Officials said heavy smoke and fire could be seen in the apartment. Neighbors were able to help the woman out and she was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
Rescue crews worked to contain the fire to the bedroom and were able to save two of the woman's cats. The cats were treated on scene by paramedics.
Fire rescue said a third cat couldn't be found right away, but it was believed to be roaming around outside.
No other injuries were reported. Firefighters said a lit candle most likely started the fire.
More animal news at our new All About Animals page.